On February 1, 2013, Dave Grohl will make his directorial debut with Sound City – Real to Reel. The documentary chronicles the illustrious history of the now defunct Sound City Studios in Los Angeles. At last weeks 12-12-12 Hurricane Sandy benefit, McCartney, Grohl, Chris Novoselic and Pat Smear debuted a new song called “Cut Me Some Slack” to much praise.
As it turns out the song will appear on the soundtrack for the film. The soundtrack features the likes of Paul McCartney, Trent Reznor (NIN), Brad Wilk (Rage Against the Machine), Tim Commerford (Rage Against the Machine), Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac), Jim Keltner (Too many to list) and many more. Grohl hasn’t revealed all of his plans for the film, but let’s just say they sound pretty big.
From Rolling Stone:
“After each premiere we could have a show with musicians,” he says. “They’d not only play music from the film, but from their catalogs as well. We could do it in a Hammerstein or Roseland and pack the bill with the coolest bands in the world . . . We aren’t far away from this. Pretty soon, everyone will hear what our big plan is. We’ve been planning it for a long fucking time.”
Sound City – Real to Reel Tracklist:
- Heaven and All - Robert Levon Been, Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes
- Time Slowing Down - Chris Goss, Tim Commerford, Dave Grohl, Brad Wilk
- You Can’t Fix This - Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Rami Jaffee
- The Man That Never Was - Rick Springfield, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear
- Your Wife is Calling - Lee Ving, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Alain Johannes, Pat Smear
- From Can to Can’t - Joshua Homme, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, Alain Johannes
- Centipede - Joshua Homme, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, Alain Johannes
- A Trick with No Sleeve - Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme
- Cut Me Some Slack - Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear
- Once Upon a Time…The End - Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Rami Jaffee, Jim Keltner
- Mantra - Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, Trent Reznor
The soundtrack will be released on March 12, 2013 and is available for pre-order at iTunes.